Welcome to the website of the Palomar Smooth Dancers, a Chapter of the National Smooth Dancers (NSD). A non-profit, volunteer-run organization, NSD was founded in 1938 for the purpose of creating greater interest in ballroom dancing and to establish friendliness and good will among dancers. There are eight Chapters in California reaching from San Diego to San Francisco with a total of more than 650 members (click here for information for other chapters). The Palomar Chapter was established in 1959.
No one need feel awkward or self-conscious at our events as our members offer encouragement and support to dancers of all levels. The most important goal is to relax and enjoy the fun of a healthy activity for people of all ages.
The Palomar Chapter hosts the following events:
- Weekly dance classes held at The Gloria E. McClellan Senior Center at Brengle Terrace in Vista (click here for address and directions) every Monday (excluding holidays). Classes include:
- Beginner classes from 7:00pm to 8:00pm
- Intermediate classes from 8:15pm to 9:15pm
The cost of the lessons is $5 per person for non-members and $2 per person for members for a single lesson. For those taking both lessons, the second class is an additional $4 for non-members and $1 for members.
While beginners are welcome to attend the intermediate classes, we caution you to be patient and not get frustrated if the material seems difficult. We do not want to dull the enthusiasm you may have to learn how to dance.
- Monthly dance parties are held on the 4th Sunday each month (with some exceptions that are noted in our events calendar) in Southeast Oceanside. The parties generally begin with a dance lesson from 6:00pm to 7:00pm, followed by a dance party from 7:00pm to 10:00pm. Light refreshments are served. The cost of the party is $10 per person for non-members and $7 for members. Dress code for the parties is “classy casual” although some enjoy dressing in the spirit of the theme for the evening. For information about our socials call Debbie Kincaid at 760-638-1668.
- We hold a monthly business meeting on the 1st Tuesday of each month where we communicate all the information needed for the effective functioning of our Chapter. Meetings are currently held at Aegis Senior Living at Shadowridge, 1440 South Melrose Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056.
In addition to dance parties and lessons, NSD holds events that provide the “glue” that makes us more than a local organization. These events provide the opportunity to visit and get to know members of our sister chapters and include:
- Each chapter holds a Coronation, a formal black-tie affair with dinner and special entertainment, where a Queen is crowned to serve as ambassador of the chapter for the year. Other chapters send their “ambassadors” to join in that event and generally several members of each chapter will travel in support of their queen, thus making the event more than local.
- Two major statewide events are held each year that give smooth dancers from all over California the opportunity to get together for dancing, competitions, meetings, professional entertainment, and banquets.
- The ‘Board of Directors’ is a three-day event held at the end of March in Bakersfield and
- The NSD Convention is a four-day event held over Labor Day weekend. Hosting responsibilities and locations rotate among the Chapters.
Click here to learn more about becoming a member of the Palomar Chapter of NSD.